Slow Cooked Butter Chicken
This enticing chicken dish is one you’ll love. Indulge in this soothing curry through the delicious flavours from our Butter Chicken Paste.
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 cloves garlic
750g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-size chunks
Butter Chicken Curry
1 tablespoon unsalted butter or ghee
1/2 cup Patak’s Butter Chicken Paste
1 cup tomato passata
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cream
chopped coriander to garnish
Steamed rice and Patak’s Pappadums, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and stir to fully coat the chicken. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 24 hours, covered in the refrigerator
- When ready to cook, heat a large fry pan over high heat with the tablespoon of butter. Add the chicken (you may have to do this in 2 batches) and brown for about 5 minutes – it won’t go fully brown due to the yogurt marinade, and it doesn’t have to be cooked through.
- Add the Patak’s Butter Chicken Paste and stir for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and the chicken is fully coated
- Add the tomato paste, water and sugar. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the raita by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
- When ready to serve, stir the cream through the curry and then remove from the heat.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with vegetable raita, rice and Pappadums.