Michael Weldon’s Butter Chicken Pie
A delicious and mouth-watering Butter Chicken Pie. Your favourite curry packed into a wholesome pie - it’s a winner.
- 500g Chicken thigh, diced
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 2 tbs Patak’s butter chicken paste
- 2 tbs butter
- 3 tbs Patak’s Butter Chicken Paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 cup cream
- 1 pack curry leaf
- 2 sheets filo pastry
- Marinate the chicken in the yoghurt and butter chicken paste for 12 hours or up to overnight.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter, fry off the Patak’s Butter Chicken Paste with the onion, garlic and ginger. Add in the cream and a splash of water. Bring up to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- After marinating char on a BBQ or griddle pan. Once charred place straight into the butter chicken gravy. Add the fenugreek leaves and a dollop of extra butter. Cook until the chicken is falling apart and the gravy is thick. Then allow to cool to room temp.
- Scoop the butter chicken filling into a pie dish. Top with a couple of sheets of puff pastry. Brush with egg glaze and place into the oven to cook until the pastry is golden and puffed.Serve straight out the oven.