Oven Baked Vindaloo Chicken
Let your oven do all the hard work for you with this Oven Baked Vindaloo Chicken with Rice. Pro tip is to let the onions soften completely before adding your spices.
4 large chicken drumsticks
3 tbsp Patak’s Vindaloo Paste
1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
2 tbsp rice bran oil
1. Coat the chicken drumsticks with the vindaloo paste and marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken drumsticks. Set them aside on a plate.
4. In the same pan, heat another tablespoon of oil and sauté the onions with the garlic and ginger for approximately 5 minutes over low heat until the onions have softened. Stir regularly to stop the garlic and ginger from burning.
5. Add the rice to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Tip the mixture into a baking pan and pour over the stock. Mix everything together and season lightly with salt.
6. Place the chicken drumsticks over the rice mixture.
7. Cover the baking pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover the pan and bake for another 20 minutes.
8. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes. Fluff up the rice with a fork before serving.